Monday, 13 February 2012

Apple and Almond Dessert Cake

Bake Twenty-Three, page 160



This cake has certainly earned its spot in the 'Special Cakes' chapter of '100 Cakes and Bakes'. With Bramley Apple week upon us (5th-12th February) I thought an Apple and Almond Dessert cake sounded just perfect for after our Sunday roast this week and, at the risk of blowing my own trumpet, I was right! I can't think of a better weekend finale. 

This cake involves spreading half of the batter on the base of the cake tin, topping  it with chunks of Bramley cooking apple and dolloping the remaining batter on top. I was worried that the batter didn't cover the apple, but after a quick check with the other Weekly Bakers and a bit of faith in Mary, it all came good in the end. I should learn to have full faith in these recipes!

Whilst allowing the cake to cool I set about making a full roast dinner and once I'd dished up I popped the whole cake back in the switched off oven to warm through while we had our meal. The cake was perfectly warm when it came out and the top was deliciously crispy. We had ours with Cornish vanilla ice cream and it was beautiful. I'm going to keep this cake in the forefront of my mind for when my parents next visit - my Dad would just love the delicate almondy-appley flavour.

Apologies for the poor picture quality, I can't find my camera and the lighting in my kitchen is terrible so my iPhone takes a bad photo in there. I am going to do some serious hunting for my trusty digital camera this week! The picture I took of the cake outside the tin came out blurry, so this one will have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment